What is Water Fasting?
This is a form of fasting where we do not consume anything except water. It is believed that water by only taking in water, cleanses our body, protects us from several health-related risks, and promotes weight loss. The best thing though is that we gain these benefits without incurring any costs.
Duration of Water Fasting
There is no fixed duration. A 1-3 day water fast brings positive results. Searching the following terms on the internet provides us with more information:
- 48-hour fast
- water fasting results
- 3 day water fast results
- 7 day water fast results
- 5 day water fast weight loss results
- Long time fasting
- And others…
What Makes Us Choose Water Fasting?
The primary reasons we practice this fasting are:
- Weight loss.
- To remove harmful elements from our body.
- Spiritual beliefs.
- Health benefits.
- To prevent the risks of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, blood pressure, and other critical diseases.
- Certain medical procedures.
Different Versions of Water Fasting
Different versions of this fasting have evolved over time. Some of them are:
- Salt water fasting
- Three day water fast or 72 hours water fast
- 5 day water fast
- 7 day water fast
- Coconut water fast
- Juice fasting
- And many more…
Benefits of Water Fasting
Risks Of Water Fasting
The Best Way To Water Fast
How To Break a Water Fast
Whether our fasting is for one day, or 72 hours or more, the procedure to break it is slow and gradual. Lemon or orange juice is most helpful. Introduce food gradually – small amounts after every two hours. It is important to start with easy to digest food and slowly move towards harder to digest options.
- The length of this process depends directly on the length of our fast.
- If we start eating high-sugar and high-fat foods after the water fast, the benefits are reversed.
- It is important to continuously eat healthy.
How To Remain Safe During the Fast?
In order to remain safe, take certain precautions. The most common ones are:
- If uncertain, consult a doctor or healthcare professional before starting with the fast.
- Preferably a doctor experienced in water fasting and follow his/ her instructions.
- Prevent dizziness by getting up slowly or breathing deeply before standing.
- Expect normal side effects such as nausea, mild weakness, dizziness, or occasional heartbeat palpitations. Seek medical attention when uncertain.
- Rest well during the fasting period.
- Avoid vigorous exercise during this period.
- Consider consuming sea salt in a glass of diluted water.
Water fasting is quite popular and provides health benefits, prepare well to mitigate associated uncertainties. Prepare yourself by practicing intermittent fasting.
However, when uncertain, proceed with your water fasting under the supervision of a doctor or healthcare professional, thus proceed with caution.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Explain dry fasting vs water fasting?
Dry fasting means not consuming food, as well as water for a specific time. And, water fasting means consuming only water for a particular time.
2. Is salt water fasting equivalent to water fasting?
Fasting on salt water is different. Some people prefer salt water fasting over water fasting.
3. How do you break a 3 day water fast gently?
A slow and gradual approach is the best.
4. What are some commonly practiced short term forms of water fasting?
Some common ones are:
- 24 hour water fast
- 48 hour water fast
- 72 hour water fast
5. What are some commonly practiced long term water fasting practices?
Some common ones are:
- 14 day water fast
- 21 day water fast
- 25 day water fast
- 40 day water fast
6. Does lemon water break a fast?
It is safe to drink lemon water during fasting.